Monday, December 19, 2011

Baklava

I've been wanting to make baklava for sometime. My Great Aunt and Grandma made it, but I do not have their recipe, I wish I did! Authentic Greek women's recipe would be ideal. Anyway, I have been searching around on www.foodgawker.com for the perfect baklava recipe, and I couldn't find one with all the makings as I desire. So, as usual I took a little from a few recipes and tweaked it to make my own.

Here's what you will need:
2 boxes of phyllo dough thawed out overnight in the fridge.
1 can mixed nuts = 4 cups
about 2 cups shelled pistachios
2 cups of walnuts
(I use salted and it tastes awesome)
5 cups melted butter (I know....lol.. I didn't say this was diet baklava)
1 large thing of the Honey with the bear on it
2 cinnamon sticks
And 2 cups sugar for syrup and 2 cups for the nuts.

Ok! Now lets make the syrup!
Go ahead and make your syrup, so start out by pouring all of your honey about 2 cups into a big pot with 2 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar. Throw in the 2 cinnamon sticks as well! Heat on medium for 10 min until sugar is completely dissolved, then boil for about 10 minutes. Being sure to stir, stir, stir!
Set that aside and let cool.

Now for the ensemble!
Chop all your nuts, by hand or food processor, I do a little bit of both. They should be small little pieces easy to chew. Add 2 cups of sugar to the chopped nuts, stir thoroughly.

Lay down a piece of phyllo dough on the bottom. Then lay pieces over that to cover the sides, I did one on each side. This is so that the sides are covered when you cut it and take it out of the pan and it stays together. Pretty much, make it like a bowl in your pan that you choose. Now douse that with melted butter!

Lay 10 more piece of phyllo dough down with melted butter spread across each sheet.
Add 2 cups of nuts spread out
Add 10 more sheets over that with melted butter spread across each sheet. Repeat this 3 more times so that you have 4 layers of nuts with 10 sheets of buttered phyllo dough in between.  The top layer of phyllo dough should be heavily buttered.
Now, with a serrated knife cut either the diamond shape or what I found easiest, was just a square shape. It is VERY important that you cut the baklava before you bake it.
After all the cutting.....
Put in the oven at 350 for 2 1/2 hours. with a pan of water underneath it.
Let it cool completely
Heat up your syrup until warm - pour all over Baklava. Let it sit for a day - then enjoy!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment